Sunday, May 13, 2012

Chocolate (Wasted, Dump, or Suicide) Cake

So, in honor of Mother's Day, I'm going to share an awesome dessert that I made for my mother yesterday!

WARNING! You will need ice cream or milk or something because this cake is SO rich!

This cake has been called many things, as I'm sure you can tell from the title. I always heard dump cake, Keeton calls it suicide cake, and the recipe that I followed was called wasted cake! No matter what you call it, it's an amazing cake that you can make a hundred times and make it differently each time.



Here's the recipe that I followed (Kind of).

The recipe in the link used homemade cake. I did not have that kind of time, and my bed was calling my name, so I used the store bought box mix. The store I went to also did not have any regular chocolate cake, really??? So, I bought devils food cake.

Go ahead and bake the cake mix as directed on the back of the box following the two 8 or two 9 inch round pan instructions. Cool completely before moving on. 


After the cakes have cooled, I placed the first layer on a cake plate. You can tell I cooled on a rack with all those awesome lines! It adds character! 
Next, I sprinkled white chocolate liquor over the first layer and let it soak in. The linked recipe used Kahlua but mom hates coffee so that wouldn't work! 



Next, I frosted the first layer and added the second. Repeat! The chocolate butter cream frosting I made is delicious! 

This next part is the part that can change everytime that you make the cake and it will still be delicious! I picked out six of mom's favorite candy bars. Like I said, these could be any candy bars you like and therefore the cake can change each time. I used: Mr. Goodbar, Whoppers, Crunch bar, Milky Way, Heath bar, and  KitKats.

You could use fun sized candy but I just chose to chop up the candy bars. The chopped up candy bars are sprinkled all over the top of the newly frosted cake. The sides of the cake are then covered with chocolate chips.

But wait... There's more! I then melted my leftover chocolate chips and some chocolate bark with a little bit of oil and drizzled the melted goodness all over the cake. 

I mean really, isn't that just beautiful!!! 

Everyone loved the cake, but like the warning above, it is REALLY rich! It made my dining room smell like chocolate for a few days! 


Chocolate (W,D,S) Cake 
1 Box Chocolate Cake Mix
Ingredients for cake mix

Frosting: 
4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Liquor of your choice for drizzling

Assorted Candies (chopped)
Chocolate chips

Chocolate for drizzling
2 cups chocolate chips or bark
2 Tbsp. oil

Grease and flour your two pans. Instead of using flour, I used cocoa powder (just one more way to include chocolate!) Make cake according to the back of the box. Cool completely. 

To make frosting:
Mix together powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Add butter, milk, and vanilla. Mix on low speed until combined. Once combined, mix on high speed until fluffy. 

Assembling the cake:
Place first layer of cake on cake plate or serving platter. Drizzle with liquor. Add a layer of frosting and second layer of cake. Drizzle this layer with liquor and frost entire cake. 
Add chopped candy bars to top of the cake. Add chocolate chips to sides of cake. 
Melt 2 cups of chocolate chips or bark with oil. Mix together and drizzle back and forth over entire cake. Make sure to let it drip over the edges! 

Enjoy!
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment