Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Menu Board


Keeton: “What’s for dinner?”
Jennifer: “I don’t know. What sounds good to you?”
Keeton: “I don’t know. How about you?”
ONE HOUR LATER
Keeton: “So… what’s for dinner?”
Jennifer: “I still don’t know… How about popcorn”

Sound familiar? This is how we spent the first months of our marriage, living off of popcorn. Every day I’d come home, stare at the fridge, sigh, and pop popcorn. It was driving me nuts. I couldn’t understand how my mother always had dinner on the table and it wasn’t cereal or popcorn.

I tried different things to plan my meals. I planned on paper each week for about a month until that was too much work. I even tried planning out the month on paper but for some reason that just didn’t work for me either. Finally, after another afternoon on Pinterest, I found a new idea, a magnetic calendar, color coded with all of my meals for the month.


I didn’t take pictures of the process, I wish I had now, but here are the directions to make your own menu board.

First you’ll need all of your materials:
A Magnetic Calendar
Magnetic Tape
Magnetic Buttons
Acrylic Jewels
Push Pins
Different Colors of Card Stock
Scissors
A Hole Punch

The first step is pretty simple. Attach the magnetic buttons to the backs of the acrylic jewels. It will look something like this.


You’ll need to type in all of your favorite recipes into boxes a little smaller than your calendar boxes. Next print all of the headings, dates, and recipes. I used this TEMPLATE One hint: make multiples of your favorite foods. I didn’t do this so I can’t put spaghetti or haystacks on the board more than once! Cut these out and attach magnetic tape to backs.


Now the fun begins! Sit down and figure out what you want to make this month! Now every day when you come home there will no longer be the “What’s for dinner?” discussion. Keeton loves being able to see what’s for dinner and gets excited when he sees his favorites coming up the next week.


Sorry the pictures aren't so great. I seem to have lost my camera charger so my phone will have to do for now! 

Have fun with this post. It’s been my favorite project so far!

This is the original post for the MENU BOARD. She also made color coded recipe cards. I’d like to do this sometime but figured one step at a time!

Have a wonderful rest of the week!
Jennifer


No comments:

Post a Comment